Washington, District of Columbia

 
 

Food and travel are my two favorite things and, let’s be real, traveling is mostly about food for me. But what’s worse than searching through hundreds of Yelp reviews to find a decent meal on the road? As someone who spends upwards of 80% of their time thinking about food (and the other 20% posting about food), I feel like I‘m always asking for or giving restaurant recs. So, I’ve decided to compile my favorite spots in DC, and will be asking some friends to do the same for their cities as well.  

DC Edited.JPG
Instagram: @Rasa

Instagram: @Rasa

 

Cheap Eats- Rasa

DC has an awesome fast casual scene, with tons of options for the Yo-Pro lunch crowd. For a quick and healthy meal under $10, I love one of the newest additions to the scene: Rasa. Serving modern Indian cuisine in a fast-casual setting, Rasa strikes the balance between your favorite lunch spot and a date night-worthy dinner. Their vibrant Navy Yard space is worth a visit - when you do, be sure to try the Masala Gin and Tonic.

 

 
 
 

Brunch-  A Baked Joint

You can’t go wrong at A Baked Joint. Its open, artsy space and versatile menu make ABJ perfect for a casual weekend brunch or lunch. They have both healthy and indulgent options, and every single thing I have ever eaten there has been delicious. Their Cinnamon Rolls are legendary, the $5 Biscuit Sammie is my go-to, and the Blueberry Oatmeal Ice Cream Sandwich has changed my life.

Instagram: @aBakedJoint

Instagram: @aBakedJoint

Instagram: @CompassCoffeeDC

Instagram: @CompassCoffeeDC

 

Cafe- Compass Coffee

Compass Coffee is the local coffee shop that is quickly taking over the District. I’m a big fan of their Nitro Cold Brew (with 15g of their seasonal syrup) and the clean aesthetic inside their flagship store in Shaw. You can also catch a peek of them roasting beans in house, at the back of the shop.

 
 
 

Drinks- Chaplin’s

My favorite happy hour is also located in Shaw, just a block away from Compass Coffee. Chaplin’s is one of the best happy hour deals in DC, with half off beer, wine and “draft cocktails” every day from 4-7 PM. These creative cocktails are absolutely massive, and are sometimes lit on fire with a blowtorch. Although they don’t have happy hour food specials, Chaplin’s more than makes up for it with affordably priced ramen, free popcorn, a huge patio and a fun, 1920’s vibe.

Instagram: @ChaplinsRestaurantDC

Instagram: @ChaplinsRestaurantDC

Instagram: @BistrotDuCoin

Instagram: @BistrotDuCoin

 

Dinner- Bistrot du Coin

Bistrot du Coin has a sentimental value to me, as the first restaurant I ever went to in D.C. Memories aside - this authentic French bistro has kept me coming back year after year. I love the no-frills atmosphere almost as much as I love their french fries. An order of mussels, Steak Frites, and a bottle of wine at Bistrot du Coin make for the perfect meal.

 
 

 

Activity- Dumbarton Oaks

Living in a city, I sometimes feel disconnected from the green space I enjoy at home in Connecticut. In college my friends and I discovered the hidden gem that is Dumbarton Oaks. The private-estate-turned-conservatory is the perfect urban escape. The manicured grounds are absolutely stunning at all times of the year, and there are tons of private spots to lounge and enjoy a Saturday afternoon.

Instagram: @DumbartonOaks

Instagram: @DumbartonOaks

Audrey Akin3 Comments