Cauliflower Leek Soup
This soup is one of those awesome dishes that tastes indulgent, but really isn’t. It is also crazy easy to make, with only four ingredients and five minutes of prep time. If you’re like me January is an internal battle between my desire to eat healthy after the holidays, and wanting something rich and warm. I recommend whipping up a big batch for healthy, but comforting lunches all week long.
· 1 large leek-cleaned and trimmed
· 5 cups chicken broth ~preferably home-made~
· 2 strips of bacon
· 2 cups riced or finely chopped cauliflower
· 2 scallions-chopped, white and green parts seperated
1. Dice bacon and add to a large pot over medium heat. Brown bacon until crispy.
2. While bacon cooks, chops leek discarding the green tops.
3. With a slotted spoon remove bacon from pan, reserving bacon fat in pot. Set bacon pieces aside to drain on a paper towel.
4. Add leeks and cauliflower to pot and saute over medium heat until soft and fragrant, about 8 minutes. Season generously with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
5. Add chicken broth to pot with cauliflower and leeks, and bring to a boil. Boil for 2 minutes, then return pot to a simmer over low heat for 10 minutes.
6. Using an immersion blender, food processor or traditional blender, puree soup until smooth and creamy.
7. Top soup with bacon bits and scallions. Serve warm.