Brown Butter Peep Crispy Treats
Although I was never a huge of fan of Peeps, the iconic Easter candy, they would show up in my Easter basket every year. I would pick around them, eating the Munson’s chocolate bunny, Cadbury eggs, and even the grocery store jelly beans before I’d begrudgingly resort to the Peeps. It took 25 years for me to understand that these lil Peeps had a higher purpose. That their potential far exceeded a forgotten corner of the Easter basket. These peeps were meant for crispy-treat stardom. You may be wondering why Peep based crispy treats differ from your run-of-the-mill marshmallow variety; and that’s a question for you and your god. All I can say is run, don’t walk to the clearance section of your grocery store, pick up some Peeps and thank me later.
· 9 ounces marshmallow Peeps
· 1 stick butter
· ½ teaspoon salt
· 6 cups crispy rice cereal
· Non-stick cooking spray
1. In a large sauce pan melt butter over medium low heat.
2. While butter melts spray a 9X13 pan with non-stick cooking spray.
3. Add salt to melted butter and let butter cook over low heat until brown, bubbly, and fragrant. Be careful not to let the butter burn. Add marshmallow Peeps to the sauce pan.
4. Stir continuously until Peeps have are melted and smooth sauce.
5. Add cereal to the pan and stir until thoroughly combined.
6. Using a rubber spatula press the cereal mixture into the casserole dish until it forms an even layer.
7. Let cool at room temperature until firm. Serve and enjoy.