Kale Pesto with Burrata
Ok, I know what you’re thinking, this has to be an oxymoron, right? This isn’t technically a vegan recipe because burrata is #dairy, BUT the pesto is, which makes this the perfect dish to make for a crowd with different dietary restrictions. Toss this summery pesto with a big batch of fresh pasta, then let your guests decide if they’d like a couple big hunks of burrata in the mix. Those that opt in will be delighted by the creamy sauce that forms when hot pasta meets burrata and pesto. Those that don’t will enjoy a bright, lemony, vegan pesto. Win, win amirite?!
· 1 pound good spaghetti
· ½ cup walnuts
· 1 cup olive oil
· 6 cloves garlic-scored
· 2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
· 1 tablespoon lemon zest
· Juice of 1 lemon
· 2 cups fresh kale
· 2 cups fresh basil
· 1 teaspoon salt
· 1 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
· 8 ounces burrata-halved
1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Cook spaghetti al dente per package instructions.
2. In a small pan toast the walnuts over medium heat until fragrant, about 3 minutes. Add the walnuts to the bowl of food processor and wipe out the pan.
3. Return the pan to the stove over medium heat and add the olive oil. When the oil is hot and shimmering add the garlic and crushed red pepper flakes. Cook for 3 minutes until the garlic is fragrant and golden, not browned. Remove from the heat and let cool.
4. In the food processor, pulse the walnuts until a rough paste forms. Add the basil, kale, lemon zest, lemon juice, garlic, and red pepper flakes, reserving the cooled olive oil.
5. With the processor running, slowly pour the olive oil into the bowl through the feed tube and process until the pesto is thoroughly pureed. Season with salt and pepper.
6. In a large bowl combine the hot pasta and pesto. Toss to combine. Add pieces of burrata if eating dairy. Serve hot.