Flank Steak with Scallion Dressing
Flank steak is delicious. So delicious that I could eat it on its own; no sides, no sauce. Hence my surprise when I realized that flank steak could be WAY more delicious when you put this scallion dressing on it. To me, this is the quintessential summer meal; tiny bit of prep, cooked on the grill, eaten outdoors. It’s fresh, delicious, and bursting with flavor. I mean it. Your tongue will go crazy when you put a tender piece of medium rare flank steak, with this tangy, salty, herbaceous dressing in your mouth. Ok, I’m gonna excuse myself from this conversation because it’s getting weird but just trust me and make this.
· 1 pound flank steak
· ½ cup Italian dressing
· ½ cup soy sauce
· 6 scallions-bottoms removed, cut into 1-inch pieces
· 2 tablespoons capers-drained
· ½ cup cilantro
· ½ cup olive oil
· 2 tablespoons water
· 1 lime
1. Combine the flank steak, Italian dressing, and soy sauce in a Ziploc bag. Seal, then shake to combine. Let marinate in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours.
2. In a blender or food processor, combine the scallions, capers, cilantro, olive oil, water, and juice of one lime. Blend until a smooth sauce forms.
3. Heat a grill to medium-high heat, then add the flank steak. Cook for 2 and a half minutes per side, turning once. Remove the steak from the grill and let rest for 5-10 minutes.
4. On a cutting board, slice the steak into thin strips, against the grain. Drizzle with scallion sauce and serve.