Sweetgreen Summer BBQ Salad
I am not a salad person. There are a few salads that I can get behind, but 10/10 times I’d rather be eating anything else. That is why Sweetgreen’s Summer BBQ salad is such a game changer. I feel like a girl who has spent her entire twenties dating mediocre guys and then all of the sudden meets THE ONE and is totally swept off her feet. This salad has swept me off my feet. It’s the one.
I have gone to Sweetgreen more times than I care to admit since they launched the summer menu, and have yet to get sick of this salad. It is the perfect yin and yang of fresh and savory with juicy watermelon, smoky chicken, summer corn, and the most amazing green goddess ranch dressing.
Like any romantic relationship, I already have anxiety about it ending. I know this salad is a seasonal menu item and I’m dreading the day it goes away. To help cope with this fear I’ve developed this recipe, so that I can have the Summer BBQ salad 4ever.
· ½ ripe avocado
· ½ ounce fresh chives- chopped
· ½ ounce fresh parsley- chopped
· ½ ounce fresh scallions- chopped
· 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
· 1/3 cup water
· 1 tablespoon Hidden Valley Ranch seasoning
· 1 pound JimAkin Chicken Skewers- roughly chopped
· 1 cup shredded carrot
· 1 cup shredded purple cabbage
· 1 cup raw corn kernels
· ¼ cup fresh cilantro
· 2 cups fresh watermelon-cubed
· 3 cups kale-shredded
· 3 cups romaine- chopped
· 2 limes- halved
· Freshly cracked black pepper
1. In a blender or food processor combine the avocado, chives, parsley, scallions, and olive oil. Process for 30 seconds, then add the ranch seasoning, stirring to combine. Add about half of the water and process until smooth, adding more water as necessary to achieve your desired consistency. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
2. In a large bowl, or four small bowls, toss the kale and romaine until combined. Top with carrot, cabbage, corn, watermelon, warm chicken, and cilantro.
3. Dress with green goddess ranch dressing to your preference and serve immediately with a halved lime.