Steel Cut Oats with Brûléed Bananas
When I’m not drinking my favorite green smoothie, steel cut oats are my go-to for a healthy breakfast. Steel cut oatmeal is high in fiber and protein so it’s a nutritious and substantial start to your day. I make a big batch of oats at the beginning of the week and heat them up in the microwave, with a splash of almond milk, throughout the week. Broiling the bananas for a few minutes to create a crunchy, caramelized, brûléed topping for your oats, makes this healthy weekday breakfast feel appropriate for an indulgent Sunday brunch.
· 1 cup almond milk
· 3 cups water
· 1 cup Irish steel cut oats
· 2 semi-ripe bananas
· 1 tablespoon brown sugar
· 1 teaspoon salt
· ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
· 1 tablespoon butter—melted
1. Bring almond milk and water to a boil in a medium pot. Slowly add steel cut oats and stir until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes. Once the oats have begun to thicken reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 25 minutes.
2. While the oats cook, peel the bananas. Slice the bananas diagonally to create ½ inch thick disks. Place the banana slices in a single layer on a parchment lined baking sheet.
3. Add the brown sugar, salt, and cinnamon to a small bowl. Stir until the sugar mixture is completely combined, then add the melted butter and mix to create a dry paste.
4. Using a spoon or your fingers, sprinkle the sugar mixture over the tops of the banana slices. Broil the bananas on high for 3-5 minutes until the sugar mixture is bubbly and lightly browned.
5. Add a ½ cup of the steel cut oats to a bowl and top with the brûléed bananas. Serve warm.